Monday, July 29, 2013

Smart Savings: What's my Motivation?

     A lot of people look at me and say “Heath, you talk about saving money for emergencies, purchases, wealth, and overall good financial health, but how exactly do you do that?”  Okay, so I’ve never actually been asked that exact question, but I should be sometime.  More realistically I get this one:  “It’s impossible for me to save money.”  Or “How can you guys afford to save so much cash?”  Or “You don’t understand how hard my life is.”  Or even worse: “My wife/husband spends all my money every month so I have nothing to save.”
     Let me be serious for a moment:  Okay, done.  Now let me be myself for a moment:  You can always come up with a thousand different reasons NOT to save money, but let me tell you I came up with nearly 10,000 reasons to save money.  Her name is Maggie Hudnall, my adorable and very expensive little girl.  You see, when my wife got pregnant a couple years ago we barely had any money saved up. 
     We also didn’t have the best health insurance at the time.  It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t great either.  It had a $4500 maximum out of pocket per year, which isn’t horrible.  However, when you have a negative net worth, a car payment, a computer payment, and no discipline with your money, that’s a HUGE amount.  Now look at that number and DOUBLE IT.  You see, our daughter was conceived in one year and born in the next, so our max out of pocket had to be paid TWICE.  Couple that with the other expenses incurred and you wind up with a whopping $10 grand for a baby.  This was what I refer to as a WAKE UP CALL.
     My wife and I knew something had to change.  There was no way in the world we were going to be able to afford this baby and our other expenses without some kind of plan.  We knew that, and the money was disappearing fast.  We had to take action.  After a little research and some FANTASTIC timing on God’s part, we went to Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University class.  It was offered at our church, and we jumped on it and took advantage of it.
     That class showed us the potential power of savings.  We saw that paying yourself first was one of the most important things you can ever do.  And we tried it.  And it worked.  We got on a budget, first, and then we realized that we could intentionally decide to put away money every month for the purpose of paying for the baby and anything else that came along.  And we did.  We started piling away the money.  I started working overtime left and right to earn some extra cash.  We lived incredibly frugal, I’m talking no eating out, no movies, no new video games, and several months of no blow money.  At one point we were chucking over $1000 per month at our savings and baby bills.  We went crazy.
     And you know what?  It paid off.  No, literally, we paid off the baby bills in cash.  You want to know what feels amazing?  Not having hospital bills following us for months.  Because we paid them off.  You see, bills are afraid of money; the more money you have the faster the bills leave.  If you have enough money, the bills turn right around and leave the second they hit your door.  That’s the best feeling ever.  So we stayed in crazy mode a little longer.
     A few months after my daughter was born we went crazy on my wife’s car, paying the $8000 balance in about four months.  All the while we were still steadily throwing money into our emergency fund every month and it slowly began to grow.  We became debt free except for our house, we piled up thousands of dollars in the bank, and we learned to say “no.”  Guess what?  It worked.
     A lot of people tell me “well it must be nice to make that much money.”  Get over yourself.  My wife and I make just above the national average for a two income home.  And I mean just above.  We don’t make a ton of money but we use it wisely.  Ouch, that word, “wisely.”  Like, wisdom.  We intentionally chose to become wiser with our money, and let me tell you it worked.
     It doesn’t matter how much money you make.  I knew a guy who made nearly $100,000 per year (after taxes, mind you) and was having trouble taking care of his family due to his debts and bad spending habits.  I also know a guy who makes $1000 per month, does what he loves for a living, and is completely debt free.  It has nothing to do with how much you make and EVERYTHING to do with how you spend it.
     Listen, if you’ve been reading my stuff and doubting my words, stop it.  I’m living proof that it works and anyone can do it.  Buckle down, put your grown up pants on, and make it happen, otherwise you’ll always come up with some excuse as to why you can’t.  Make it an intentional goal.  Zig Ziglar says if you aim at nothing, you’ll hit it every single time.  Aim at a target of your own creation and shoot for it every day.  You’ll see tremendous results and your life will change.
     It’s no accident that God says in Proverbs 21:20 that a wise man has stores of food and oil (wealth in those days) but a fool consumes all he has.  It’s no wonder that in the same book of wisdom we’re told to look at the ants, how they harvest and work and store up for the winter.  That’s why Jesus said you can’t build a tower without first counting the costs, otherwise you’ll look like a fool when push comes to shove.
     Make yourself a plan and beat those excuses out of your mind.  People like to say they can’t afford to save money.  I’ll argue that you can’t afford NOT to.  That might be cliché but it’s still Common Cents.


-Heath

PS:  If you didn't get the memo, we've moved over to commoncentsnn.wordpress.com.  Check it out, it's much prettier than this version.  The move will be final on August 5th so don't miss out!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment