Saturday, July 27, 2013

Smart Savings: How Money Saves Sanity

     Recently my wife and I went on vacation.  We had a blast and my year and a half old daughter had a blast too.  It was a great break from work and the “real” world.  But when we got back, we picked up my wife’s car from the airport and suddenly the AC had stopped working.  In the middle of July.
     Now, some of you may think “well just roll the windows down a hyuk hyuk” but you don’t seem to understand.  My wife and I are AC junkies.  We’re addicted to the AC in our cars.  Without the AC in our cars we start to feel the humidity slowly sapping away our sanity and selling it off to the highest bidder.  We feel the heat pierce through our very souls and no one wants a pierced soul.  My wife has associated the heat and humidity of tidewater Virginia with a plague of epic proportions. 
     I don’t know if you live in the tidewater area of Virginia, but humidity is the bane of our existence.  It can be 70 degrees out, which in any other area would be fantastic, but the Virginia humidity makes it feel like 100.  There are times when the humidity is actually visible.  You can actually SEE the water hanging in the air, waiting for you to come out and play.  Then it attacks.  It sticks to your skin and never lets go, making you feel disgusting.  If you wake up in the morning like me, you feel a little bleh and need a shower.  I shower and then walk outside and feel like I just woke up again.  The moisture just clings to you in an awful way that leaves you feeling like you need another shower.
     I say all that so I can say this: My wife and I are heat-and-humidity-aphobics.  So when her AC died, we needed to have it fixed ASAP.  The next day my wife took her car up to the dealer who said “I can fix it, but it’s gonna cost $1200.”  Turns out my wife’s evaporator coil had a hole in it leaking freon.  Yeah, that sucks.  And to get to the evaporator coil (don’t know if you knew this) you have to completely disassemble the car.  It’s one of those weird pieces that is buried so deep in the car that you have to pack a lunch to get there.  Trust me, we searched for alternative ways and methods of fixing the car, but this was the only way we could have a guaranteed service.  And we trust our mechanic, mostly because he knows if he crossed us my father-in-law would go all retired Navy on him.  Which would be awesome.
     We needed it fixed, so we took the money out of our emergency fund and fixed it.  Yeah…that’s the end of the story.  You may have been expecting me to lament in agony over how hard it was to save that money quickly or how we were forced to borrow money of some kind to pay it off.  Even after seeing how much it was and that we used saved up money, you may be expecting me to say “man it’s hard now because that wiped our savings out.”  But I told you that’s the end of the story.  The beginning of the story was over two years ago when we decided that one of the wisest things we could ever possibly do was start saving money for emergencies.  To start paying ourselves first.
     Over a two year period of time, we had built up enough savings in our emergency fund that paying for that AC fix was not only easy, but almost painless.  I don’t need to put the actual amount on here, but after we paid the $1200 fee to fix our car and appease our inner AC dependency, my wife and I still have several thousands of dollars saved up.  This isn’t to brag that somehow we’re better than you or that somehow we make more than you.  My wife and I make just barely above the national average for a two income home.  The kicker is that we intentionally decided to start saving money for emergencies long before an emergency occurred.  Granted, it was much smaller at the start, but we decided to aggressively save for the rainy days of life.
     I’ll go into more detail in later posts, but the point of this whole story was to get you to think.  How many times have you had car trouble that brought money trouble along with it?  How many times did you break your glasses and have to borrow or work your butt off (or both) to replace them?  Cars break.  Glasses get lost.  Trees fall on your porch.  Little Johnny goes to the doctor and needs crazy expensive medicine.  Someone loses a job.  Someone dies.  Life happens.
     Emergencies can pressure you to make poor financial decisions if you aren’t prepared for them.  Emergencies will happen because we’re all human and none of us are impervious to life.  But when you have $10 or $15 or $20 thousand sitting there for the express purpose of taking care of those moments, emergencies become little more than inconveniences.  That’s the power of a plan.  Not rocket science, just Common Cents.


-Heath

PS:  Thanks again to all my readers.  I have a quick announcement, the drawing for Jon Acuff's book Quitter will take place on Aug. 1st.  Thanks to everyone who entered, and there are still a few days left to get in.  Share my blog on facebook or twitter and email me at commoncentsnn@gmail.com to enter.

Also, take note because starting August 5th Common Cents will make the move to Wordpress.  Wordpress has a much easier system to use and has many more customization options, so we're making the move Aug. 5th.  I'll be posting here and there until the move if final, but if you RSS'd my blog, please be sure to follow us on Wordpress.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment